Sunday, December 18, 2011

Specialized S-Works Prevail Helmet

I picked up this helmet about a year ago and I have been intending to review it, but I have been intending to review several items and I have not had the motivation to do so until now. I typically use 3-4 helmets in rotation. I'm not sure why I started doing this, but a few years ago I began to dislike wearing the same helmet on back to back days. Especially if I did a night ride and then an early morning training ride where the helmet had not completely dried. I also like to keep my light mount on one helmet so I don't have to mess around with it and I can jump on my bike and just ride. Right now, I have the Prevail, Lazer Genesis, Bell Volt and Giro Atmos in the rotation. All of these helmets are at or near the top of each manufacturers line. I'm a big believer in spending money on helmets. While there may not be huge differences in protection, there are significant differences in weight, air flow and comfort. Everyone of those things matter to me especially when I am spending a lot of time in the saddle.
So why not review the other helmets? I did think about doing a shootout, but so much of this is subjective that I'm not sure it would be of any value to anyone and since most of these helmets are carried in pretty much any shop, you can try most of them on at your LBS and compare them side by side. However, since the Specialized helmet is only sold through their shops (and online) and since it is a new helmet I thought I would review the Prevail. Also, if I did pick a favorite out of the group the Prevail would be it.


I picked up my Prevail last February and it has many hours of Osage. This particular helmet is the S-Works version in size Medium which fits 54-60 cm heads. I'm a 56 and a little skeptical of it fitting someone with a size 54 head. It runs a little big for my head shape which would be considered "oval". The helmet has a claimed weight of 215g, but mine is a little heavier at 224g, but is still lighter than anything else that I own.

The Prevail has three points of adjustment:


The first adjustment shown above is the "Mindset" adjustment. There are two of these and there are 5 points of adjustment on each side that you change by sliding the plastic inserts forward or backward until the next notch catches. This is a pretty simple adjustment that moves the webbing up and down. My 56cm head uses the very front setting while there is plenty of room for expansion, I'm not sure how a 54cm head would fit. This is probably something that you would setup one time and leave although if you wear cycling caps you may need to change this more frequently.


The main adjustment feature is the micro dial on the rear that you turn clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen. There is a very loud click when you turn the dial that gives nice feedback. I really like this dial when compared to most of the other systems out there and is very easy to find on the bike as opposed to some of the other options out there.

The final adjustment option is the right strap. This is where you adjust the length of the strap only. You can't adjust the size of the ear hole. I thought this might be a problem at first, but I have fallen in love with this system. The straps are super thin. Way thinner than anything else I have tried and the NEVER twist, they are always flat which is not the case with the Lazer Genesis for example. These thin straps with limited adjustablility add the the simplicity of this helmet which is a huge plus in my book.


Specialized makes a lot of claims about cooling and aerodynamics with this helmet. I suppose the aerodynamic claims are made because this helmet does not go out to the size over your ears, it is almost straight-up and flat-top style. There is a big front channel that reminds me of a muscle car intake and a fairly low profile top. When you hold this helmet beside other helmets it just looks thinner. I'm not a big fan of the mouth look on this helmet, it is fairly iconic in the peloton as it has been around for years and is unique to Specialized, but it just does not do it for me. That being said, this is a very light and cool helmet with excellent airflow.



The helmet from the rear kind of reminds me of Master Chief from the Halo games. The vents are huge and I believe these have to play a big part in the superior cooling of this helmet. Ventilation is simply excellent with the Prevail.

Overall I really like this helmet and consider it the best of all of the helmets that I own. I have destroyed two helmets over the past few years so I absolutely want something that is secure on my head and will provide great protection. I have no doubt that the Previal will protect my head and because of the adjustability of this helmet (especially the simple straps), I can feel that the helmet is secure on my head at all times.

Comfort is exceptional. It is light, cool, and fits my head very well. I can't think of single feature that the Prevail is missing other than perhaps more color options that are not Pro Tour replicas.

My only knock on the helmet is the vertical adjustments inside top of the Prevail. While most riders probably would not be bothered by this I wear caps quite often, but I have a temperature limit of about 60 degrees. When it is hotter than that I can't wear one and when it is cooler my bald head needs the insulation. In the spring and fall this means we cross that line quite often and I have to take the helmet off and adjust it. With my other helmets I can set them up in a "tweener" mode where I can use the external adjustment to snug it up enough to make it comfortable. However, I can't make this happen with the Specialized retention system.

Oh yeah, one other knock...... I'm not sure if it is the strap or the vents, but at very specific yaw angles I can hear a slight whistle from the wind. This does not happened with any other helmet I own and a friend of mine who also owns this helmet says he hears the same noise from time to time.

Even with these minor drawbacks I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone from a recreational rider to a racer. It has everything that any rider could ask for.

-Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment